Sutherland Leadership Strategies provides
the services listed below.
Click a specific service to learn more.
Executive coaching is a one-on-one process to help
leaders acquire and demonstrate the insight, skills and
behaviors they need to be successful.
Twenty years of experience in results-oriented coaching
has proven that the SLS process works. SLS has experience
coaching everyone from high potential leaders who need
to understand what it means to be an executive, to C-level
executives coping with broad, strategic, complex issues.
While each coaching program is highly customized in content,
it is the process, outcomes and coaching expertise that
are consistent and ensure the highest return on your investment.
Coaching assures that leaders quickly acquire the skills
and techniques necessary to get the results the organization
Back to top
- Newly promoted executives adjust to new
- High potential leaders acquire executive
- Broaden the skills of technical leaders
- Acquiring new, complex skills fast
- Preventing derailment of key people
Retirements, changing business conditions and the need
to constantly reinvent strategy to spur growth means intense
pressure to select, develop and promote the right people.
While past performance evaluations can help with these
decisions, the best predictor of future performance is:
SLS has more than twenty years of experience partnering
with decision-makers to design the right assessment process
that gives your organization the information you need
to make better people decisions.
- Identifying the skills needed for future positions
- Objective assessment of the style, abilities, knowledge,
and skills needed for that position
Back to top
- Identify the next generation of leaders
- Target development for high potentials
- Pinpoint the strengths and vulnerabilities
of key leaders for various positions
- Build insight and skills in key leaders
- Gain critical and objective information
for talent discussions
Developing senior leaders to meet future business needs
is a critical challenge for any company. Action learning-based
development processes – which use real-life scenarios
to teach new skills – provide leaders with the strategies
to immediately apply new learning on the job.
SLS’ flagship program, Future Leader, first identifies
the skills and knowledge the business will need in its
key leaders in order to be successful, then develops those
over the course of a year.
All SLS programs establish a close partnership with the
sponsoring organization. They are based on the latest
research on how adults learn best and what will ensure
the best business results for the organization.
Other, shorter programs focus on ingraining coaching and
development skills in the organization so that, every
day, leaders can make sure they are developing people
for top performance.
- Create the next generation of leaders
- Accelerate the development of hi pots
- Help leaders acquire skills quickly to support
culture change & talent mgmt.
- Build capability
- Gain alignment on vision, knowledge and
The challenging external business environment becomes
even more difficult when your company does not have the
right people with the necessary skills in key positions.
Companies often delay strategic talent discussions in
lieu of dealing with the “hard” issues facing
the business – until they realize that critical
people are leaving, or the pipeline to fill important
positions is meager.
SLS helps companies get ahead of this by working with
you to design and implement a talent management process
that fits your needs. The process starts with your business:
What is in its future? What challenges are you facing?
How will the business change over the next five to ten
years? What kind of people do you need for your next key
Back to top
- Have a systematic process for selecting,
developing, promoting people that aligns with company
strategies and future needs
- Ensure fairness and objectivity
- Maintain a pipeline of talent so that positions
can be filled with the best candidates
- Increase retention
Demographic changes have made the development and selection
of the next C-level executives an urgent business priority.
The best companies plan for these transitions at least
two years in advance: identifying the internal candidate
pool, creating development opportunities for people, assessing
possible candidates to see who may be viable, providing
coaching to accelerate development.
SLS has worked with numerous companies – public
and private – and their Boards to develop and select
the next generation of senior executives. Using a multi-faceted
process that involves all key stakeholders, SLS ensures
that the new senior leaders have the passion and the skills
to deliver what your company needs, now and into the future.
Back to top
- Identify critical
success factors for the next CEO
- Identify the right people to meet future
- Ensure that the next senior leaders will
provide the right culture and values, as well as results
- Construct a senior team that works well
Senior executive teams are quite different than teams
at other levels of the organization. Often the most senior
team simply needs:
SLS has over twenty years of experience helping top teams
make the changes in their team process that allow the
business to run more effectively. Because each company
will require something different from its executive team,
the SLS approach is highly customized and driven by current
and future business challenges.
- Alignment around key strategies and direction
- An effective process for making enterprise and policy
- Enough trust and respect to cooperate, when necessary,
and allow the other executives to do their jobs
Back to top
- Identify what the business needs from your
- Work through team issues that are disrupting
- Resolve critical business problems
- Gain alignment around vision, strategy,
culture and key policies